Skip to main content

Dark Matter - Black Crouch

“Are you happy with your life?”

Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious.


Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits.

Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor, but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable. Something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.



This was quite a compelling read that explores really thought-provoking things.  One night, Jason gets kidnapped and drugged. When he wakes up, he has a completely different life. No wife, no son, a completely different life. I don't want to spoil too much, because that would ruin the crazy mysterious experience of this story, and I don't want to do that. Because of that, I find it very hard to write a review, but I'm going to give it my best.

It's terrifying when you consider that every thought we have, every choice we could possibly make, creates a new world.”

This story is thrilling and horrifying, but it's very exciting. The deep philosophical questions it asks kept my mind occupied for the days that followed finishing the book. One of the things that kept my mind busy was the following:

“If you strip away all the trappings of personality and lifestyle, what are the core components that make me me?”

I mean, that is a question that will be able to keep my mind occupied for a while, because it is such a heavy kind of question. What makes you you? What is everything you know is taken away, then who are you?
I was hooked immediately and had trouble putting it down. This book is a true mindf*ck that will not be easy to forget.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Mind, A Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable - Lindy Tsang

"What better gift can you give someone than making them feel more beautiful inside?" I decided to start the year of by trying to get inspired to work on and improve myself. I don't really have any resolutions for the new year, because I know I have trouble sticking to them, but I thought that starting the year with trying to get an even more positive outlook on life couldn't hurt. Then, last December, Lindy Tsang (Bubzbeauty on YouTube) had her first book coming out! When I heard about the news, I dreaded it was going to be 'just another book', but she started telling about what she was going to be writing about and she got me really excited for this one. I've followed Lindy on YouTube for quite some years now and always found myself awestruck by her positive outlook on life and her knowledge of who she was. She, to me, is a rolemodel on how I would love myself to be: honest, real, kind and loving. When the release date (December 12th) was announced,

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things - Bryn Greenwood

Eight-year-old Wavonna (Wavy) Quinn is the daugther of a meth-dealer knows not to trust anybody, not even her parents. S truggling to raise her little brother, Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer. Well, the blurb was right: a shocking love story. The subject makes it quite hard to review, because I don't want to give anybody the wrong idea. So, to all of you reading this: I do not support these kind of relationships. "Odd couple that they were, they had a real connection." So, the subject made this a very ambigiuous story, as it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met. I found out about this book through the first released footage of the m