Skip to main content

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle. Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.



This book was amazing! Not in the literary sense (it's not a literary masterpiece), but the story was just so amazing! I bought this book after have found out that it was going to become a movie (coming out this month!), but then it ended up on my shelf and I kind of forgot about it. Then, last January, my friend told me to pick it up because she loved it so much. Now, after having read it, I can't believe I waited so long before reading this!

“Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.” 

As someone who likes to game and does it quite a lot, the idea of this online virtual reality gameworld really struck me as amazing. I can totally see myself getting obsessed with it and wanting to be online all the time. The way it was described, the endless possibilities that the OASIS has... it struck me with wonder. I wasn't alive in the '80's, the decade this story references to a lot, but I did recognize some things thanks to my dad's obsessions with Monty Python and Terry Pratchett. So I probably didn't even see all the hidden references and Easter eggs within the story, but the ones I did understand were so much fun. I mean, there was a Doctor Who reference which got me all giddy and excited!

There was also a romance in the book, which I didn't deem necessary. I understood how and why it happened (I mean, every book has romance, right?), but I think it would have been just a great without it.

“There, inside the game’s two-dimensional universe, life was simple: It’s just you against the machine. Move with your left hand, shoot with your right, and try to stay alive as long as possible.”

This book has it all. It was very easy for me to get into this fantastic but also horrific dystopian world. The weird part is that I could see something like this happen in the future. People who live more online instead of in the real world. I think Ernest Cline really captured a future that could in some way happen, which made it even more thrilling to read. 


Now, I am just really excited to see the movie! I can't wait for the OASIS to come to life!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Mind, A Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable - Lindy Tsang

"What better gift can you give someone than making them feel more beautiful inside?" I decided to start the year of by trying to get inspired to work on and improve myself. I don't really have any resolutions for the new year, because I know I have trouble sticking to them, but I thought that starting the year with trying to get an even more positive outlook on life couldn't hurt. Then, last December, Lindy Tsang (Bubzbeauty on YouTube) had her first book coming out! When I heard about the news, I dreaded it was going to be 'just another book', but she started telling about what she was going to be writing about and she got me really excited for this one. I've followed Lindy on YouTube for quite some years now and always found myself awestruck by her positive outlook on life and her knowledge of who she was. She, to me, is a rolemodel on how I would love myself to be: honest, real, kind and loving. When the release date (December 12th) was announced,

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things - Bryn Greenwood

Eight-year-old Wavonna (Wavy) Quinn is the daugther of a meth-dealer knows not to trust anybody, not even her parents. S truggling to raise her little brother, Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer. Well, the blurb was right: a shocking love story. The subject makes it quite hard to review, because I don't want to give anybody the wrong idea. So, to all of you reading this: I do not support these kind of relationships. "Odd couple that they were, they had a real connection." So, the subject made this a very ambigiuous story, as it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met. I found out about this book through the first released footage of the m