Skip to main content

Unfiltered: No Shame, No Regrets, Just Me - Lily Collins

For the first time ever, Lily shares her life and her own deepest secrets, underlining that every single one of us experiences pain and heartbreak. We all understand what it’s like to live in the light and in the dark. For Lily, it’s about making it through to the other side, where you love what you see in the mirror and where you embrace yourself just as you are. She's learned that all it takes is one person standing up and saying something for everyone else to realize they’re not alone.

By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, Lily’s honest voice will inspire you to be who you are and say what you feel. It’s time to claim your voice! It’s time to live your life unfiltered.



The first chapter explains exactly what I know her from. She came to my attention when I was in a stage of my life where I was very insecure. Then one time, I read all this criticism about her eyebrows: how they were too big and too bushy. I never agreed, I though her eyebrows look good. Then I read her reaction, that her eyebrows make her unique and that she wasn't going to change just because some people didn't like them. This belief was also mentioned in the book, of course:

“The quirky things that make you different are what make you beautiful”

Well, back then, I thought that was amazing and that got me to follow her, wanting to know more about her. I watched some of her movies and started following her career, supporting her.

Then, she brought out this book in March 2017 and I knew I had to read it. I was really curious to find out her view on life and what moves her.  But as many of you will understand, it ended up on my TBR (To Be Read) along with lots of other books, so I kind of lost sight of it. And hey: out of sight, out of mind. So, when I came across this book on BookDepository, I decided to get around to it and read it.

I really admire Lily for being so  open and honest about growing up, her struggles with love and her problems with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. 

In this book, she describes her struggles with love. How to be yourself and stay yourself in a relationship, which is extremely important. Also, how loving and accepting yourself is very important when you are in a relationship with someone else. Beautifully represented with this quote from the book:

“No relationship is greater than the one I have with myself.

That is an extremely important lesson, because, as Lindy Tsang said in her book: "You cannot escape from you, so you might as well be your own best friend". Loving and respecting yourself should be the steady base on which you can build a relationship. I really do believe that.

Other than that, she described her struggles with food, with control. This was quite shocking to read, because I didn't know this about her yet. The fact that she was anorexic and bulimic was very hard for me to process for some reason. Though, knowing this, this really had an effect on how I saw her as an actress. For the Netflix-movie To the Bone, she went back to that part of her life by playing an anorexic girl. The fact that she found the strength to do this really inspires me and makes me very proud of her. And I don't even know her, so that feels kind of weird.

I love what she stands for: communication. Her goal is to get people talking about their struggles to let people know they are not alone in them. I find this an amazing goal she has, getting people talking. And, judging on all the things she has already done (described in her book), she is well on her way.

I liked reading about Lily's life a lot and I think young women can really benefit from reading her story. I'm glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Mind, A Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable - Lindy Tsang

"What better gift can you give someone than making them feel more beautiful inside?" I decided to start the year of by trying to get inspired to work on and improve myself. I don't really have any resolutions for the new year, because I know I have trouble sticking to them, but I thought that starting the year with trying to get an even more positive outlook on life couldn't hurt. Then, last December, Lindy Tsang (Bubzbeauty on YouTube) had her first book coming out! When I heard about the news, I dreaded it was going to be 'just another book', but she started telling about what she was going to be writing about and she got me really excited for this one. I've followed Lindy on YouTube for quite some years now and always found myself awestruck by her positive outlook on life and her knowledge of who she was. She, to me, is a rolemodel on how I would love myself to be: honest, real, kind and loving. When the release date (December 12th) was announced,

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things - Bryn Greenwood

Eight-year-old Wavonna (Wavy) Quinn is the daugther of a meth-dealer knows not to trust anybody, not even her parents. S truggling to raise her little brother, Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer. Well, the blurb was right: a shocking love story. The subject makes it quite hard to review, because I don't want to give anybody the wrong idea. So, to all of you reading this: I do not support these kind of relationships. "Odd couple that they were, they had a real connection." So, the subject made this a very ambigiuous story, as it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met. I found out about this book through the first released footage of the m